As the outcome of the match between Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz Jr continues to shock the world, a rematch is set to be coming up latter this year between this two boxing giants.
As it is no news that the American-born Mexican Ruiz has striped Anthony Joshua off his titles of IBF, WBO, WBA and World heavyweight titles in New York on Saturday, a rematch clause was part of the contract for the fight.
However, Matchroom Sport chief Barry Hearn said on his twitter handle “After meetings with AJ, Rob Mc[Cracken – Joshua’s trainer] and the management team in NY, we have today triggered the contracted rematch clause with Andy Ruiz Jr,”.
“The fight will take place in Nov/Dec at a venue to be confirmed shortly.”
Recalling that the British fighter Joshua, 29, was floored four times as Ruiz defied his underdog status to win in seven rounds at Madison Square Garden. The London 2012 Olympic champion subsequently had a concussion test after the first defeat of his 23-fight career.
Also Watch:Police Officer caught on video helping Car snatchers and Yahoo boys for bribe
Ruiz, also 29, took the fight at short notice after Joshua’s original opponent Jarrell Miller failed drug tests.
The new champion, who was born in the United States but fights under the Mexican flag, has previously said he wil tame a rematch at any time.
Also Read:Serena Williams breaks another record, becomes the first athlete to make Forbes’ richest self-made women list
Anthony Joshua when asked about potential fight with WBC world champion Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury in a post-fight news conference said, “I still want to compete with those men but a rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr is where we are at,” he said. “I’m still a champ and I will rectify it to get the belts back.”
Hearn in his words said a rematch is a “must win” because Joshua’s options will be “nothing after that”.
Matchroom Sport chief Barry Hearn spoke with BBC saying “If the rematch happens I would think Cardiff would have an outstanding chance of being our venue of choice, simply because it holds 80,000 people – it’s only beaten in size by Wembley – and it has a roof, which means we can do it at the appropriate time around November,” he said.
“The only doubt I would say is that boxing is a strange business and you never know what happens in terms of we have an agreement in place, but sometimes we have to make sure that agreement is honoured.
“Secondly, because it’s now a huge fight this rematch – with the upset of the century – you can’t rule out that it doesn’t take place outside the UK.”